EducationCity.com and Encyclopaedia Britannica Launch Strategic Partnership
London, 09 April 2012
- EducationCity.com and Encyclopædia Britannica today launched a strategic partnership with Encyclopædia Britannica at the UK’s top event in education, the Education Show in Birmingham.
- The partnership, which brings together two of the UK’s best educational resource providers, will provide a complementary range of Britannica’s world-renowned online educational materials for teachers exclusively through EducationCity.com, helping to boost attainment and inspire learners in classrooms across the UK.
- A UK-wide competition for schools is also being launched to celebrate the partnership. From today both primary and secondary schools are welcomed to enter a prize draw to win a trip to the Science Museum with VIP activity sessions and up to £500 towards transport costs. Visit http://www.educationcity.com/uk/britannica for full details.
- EducationCity.com is a leading developer and publisher of educational content. It is used by more than 15,000 schools across the UK and provides engaging, curriculum-mapped content across a range of subjects. Since its founding in 1768, Encyclopædia Britannica has grown and diversified and provides a range of educational resources to universities, colleges and schools across the world.
- Speaking at the Education Show, Richard Whalley, Managing Director of EducationCity.com said: “The addition of Encyclopædia Britannica to EducationCity.com’s award winning resource is a further boost to our offering to teachers and pupils. Bringing together these deep, cross-curricular products now provides a truly comprehensive resource in one highly cost effective and educationally sound package.”
- Ian Grant, Managing Director of Encyclopaedia Britannica also said: “We are delighted to be working with EducationCity as part of our mission to inform and educate young learners. Britannica is revered throughout the world for providing reliable, trustworthy and safe content, which creates confidence in all our users. Through our partnership with EducationCity we’re certain that Britannica can complement EducationCity’s already outstanding service to inspire learners and to help thousands of schools boost attainment.”
Notes to editors:
- About EducationCity.com
EducationCity.com is an award-winning online teaching, learning and assessment resource trusted and used in over 15,500 subscribing schools and by nearly 3 million children. All activities are curriculum mapped to QCA and Primary Frameworks for literacy and mathematics in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and to the Curriculum for Excellence in Scotland.
- EducationCity.com is a resource priced by module, so purchasers can buy as much or as little as they like. Covering Maths, Literacy, Science, French, German, Spanish and English as an Additional Language from Foundation to Key Stage 3 transition, whole-school subscriptions start from just £85/module/year.
- EducationCity.com is the winner of three BETT awards 2012.
- About Encyclopædia Britannica:
Britannica was founded in Edinburgh in 1768 at the height of the period of European history known as the “Enlightenment”. Its aim was to publish clear, current and correct information, based on a scientific approach to knowledge.
- It is the most comprehensive and oldest continuously published reference work in the English language and is revered worldwide for its editorial integrity. Britannica strives to help its users become confident global citizens, by delivering expert and up-to-date knowledge and being global leaders in providing a source for life-long learning.
- Encyclopædia Britannica (UK) Ltd is a subsidiary of Encyclopædia Britannica Inc. who are leading providers of learning and knowledge products. Britannica is proud to be one of the world's most trusted sources of information.
- In 2011 Encyclopædia Britannica was named as one of the UK’s most respected brands in the annual Consumer Superbrand Survey. Britannica was one of only eight media reference companies to make the top 500 brands in the UK and was the only one to be listed in the top 50.
- About Britannica Online & Mobile:
Today Britannica is much more than an encyclopaedia. We have a larger and more diverse line of online and mobile products than ever before. Our outlook is shaped by our tradition of excellence and an understanding of what knowledge seekers need in the digital age.
- Since launching in 1994 Britannica Online has grown and developed an extensive range of online products for learners of all ages. The largest and most comprehensive is the Britannica Online Academic Edition, which delivers relevant, web-based content for further and higher education. It is continuously updated, revised and developed with new articles, allowing its users to research confidently with expert information and a host of research tools designed to support advanced study. For schools, the Britannica Online School Edition provides a comprehensive reference and education service specially designed for primary and secondary schools, while the Britannica Online Public Library Edition, delivers three encyclopaedias for different levels, under one product.
- Alongside the traditional encyclopedias, Britannica has also increased its offering to educational institutions through two innovative products, Britannica Image Quest and Britannica Pathways: Science. Britannica Image Quest provides access to more than two million stunning images, sourced from some of the best collections in the world. Britannica Pathways: Science supports effective teaching for students aged 11 – 14 and tackles common misconceptions through interactive and discussion-led resources.
- In 2011 Britannica began an ambitious mobile publishing programme, launching nine titles in a series of educational mobile apps for children aged 8 -12 on a range of platforms. The nine titles were awarded with the silver prize at the 2011 e-learning awards in the Best use of Mobile Learning category. Following the launch of Britannica Kids Apps, a series of 60 games-based revision apps for Key Stages 2 – 4 will be released in the near future under the Britannica SmartStudy brand.
- For further information about Britannica and its products, please visit:
- Follow Britannica on Twitter: @Britannica_UK
- Britannica Flickr Feed: www.flickr.com/photos/britannica_image_quest/
# # #
Senior Marketing Executive
DDI:0844 225 3060
for Encyclopædia Britannica
DDI: +44 (0)20 7500 7805