Britannica and Scoilnet celebrate Children’s Book Festival
with nationwide competitions for teachers and library users!
London, 26 September 2011
- This October Encyclopædia Britannica and Scoilnet are supporting the Children’s Book Festival by running two nationwide competitions for Irish teachers and library members.
- Teachers and Schools
- Britannica and Scoilnet are appealing to teachers’ creative streaks across Ireland, with a nationwide, interactive competition that is offering a whole range of exciting prizes for teachers and their schools. IPad2s, the latest Promethean and E-instruction technology for classroom-based learning, and lunch for two at Ashford Castle are the prizes up for grabs for the lucky winners and runners-up!
- For the competition, teachers are invited to submit an online learning activity to the Scoilnet education portal using Britannica’s interactive online resources. The lesson plan can be for any level, topic or subject, but the judges will be looking for the most creative and inspiring ways to use Britannica in the classroom. Britannica is available to all Irish schools via the Scoilnet homepage: www.scoilnet.ie . Winners and runners-up for both primary and post-primary will be chosen and trainee teachers are also invited to participate. Enter now at www.scoilnet.ie/competition.aspx. The closing date for entries is November 6th 2011.
- Library Members
- For library lovers, Britannica will be hosting an interactive online quiz throughout libraries in Ireland. Library members aged 5-11 and 12-18 will have the chance to win either an iPod Nano or iPod Touch by entering the quiz on all things Irish at their local library, or remotely via their library card. The competition will run from 1 October to 31st October, with winners being contacted by 5pm GMT, on 4th November 2011.
- Winners and finalists will be invited to a special awards ceremony hosted by a panel of judges, where the award-winning children’s author, Conor Kostick, will be presenting prizes and doing a reading. The ceremony will be held in Dublin in November.
- For more information on the competitions and for the terms and conditions of entry, please visit: www.scoilnet.ie/competition.aspx (teachers’ competition) and www.britannica.co.uk/quiz (library members’ competition).
# # #
For further information, please contact:
DDI: +44 (0)20 7500 7805
Fax: +44 (0)20 7500 7878