National Student and Teacher Competition Launched!
London, 15 September 2011
- This October Encyclopædia Britannica and Scoilnet are supporting the Children’s Book Festival by running two nationwide competitions for Irish students and teachers.
- Britannica will also be running a national competition for teachers in partnership with Scoilnet. Teachers will have the chance to win a range from prizes for themselves and their schools including an iPad2, lunch for two at Ashford Castle and a range of other high-tech classroom-based software and hardware from Promethean and e-instruction.
- For the competition, teachers are invited to submit an online learning activity to the Scoilnet education portal using Britannica’s interactive online resources. The lesson plan can be for any level, topic or subject, but will be looking for the most creative and inspiring ways to use Britannica in the classroom. Britannica is available to all teachers through their Scoilnet login. Winners and runners-up for both primary and post primary levels will be chosen and trainee teachers are also invited to participate.
- For students, Britannica will be hosting an interactive online quiz throughout libraries in Ireland. Students aged 5 – 12 and 13 – 18 will have the chance to win either an iPod Nano or iPod Touch by entering the quiz on all things Irish at their local library, or remotely via their library card. The competition will run from 1 October to 1 November, with winners being contacted by 5pm GMT, on 4th November 2011.
- Winners and finalists from both competitions will be invited to a special awards ceremony hosted by award-winning children’s author Conor Kostick and representatives from Britannica in Dublin in November.
- For more information on the competitions and for the terms and conditions of entry, please call on +44 207 500 7802.
# # #
For further information, please contact:
DDI: +44 (0)20 7500 7805
Fax: +44 (0)20 7500 7878