Encyclopædia Britannica to Provide World-Renowned Content to Telkom Customers
London, 14 June 2011
- Telkom customers now have access to Encyclopædia Britannica’s world-renowned digital educational content for free, as part of their broadband subscription package.
- Subscribers to TelkomInternet broadband services will have unlimited access to all three of Britannica’s market-leading educational databases – Primary Britannica, Britannica Student and Britannica Online — as part of a three year deal between the world-renowned encyclopedia and Africa's largest integrated communications company.
- TelkomInternet subscribers across South Africa are expected to benefit from the partnership, with users having access to a wide range of research features, including thousands of fully-indexed articles and an extensive range of videos and images.
- Encyclopædia Britannica was founded in Edinburgh in 1768 with the aim of publishing clear, current and correct information, based on a scientific approach to knowledge. Today it is the most trusted online encyclopedia, with a diverse range of online and mobile products, all adhering to its founding principles.
- Diane Franklyn, Director of Consumer Markets at Encyclopædia Britannica UK, said: “We’re delighted to be working with Telkom to provide our world-leading educational resources to their South African customers. Through our partnership with Telkom we’re taking an important step in our global mission to raise educational standards.”
- “By providing access to our resources, we’re confident that we will inspire a new generation of learners in South Africa.”
- “Telkom is pleased to continue offering its Internet customers free, unlimited access to such a prestigious information resource. I am confident that this new service will enrich the learning of students across all education platforms,” says Erna Korff, Telkom Managing Executive for Consumer Marketing.
Notes to editors:
- About Encyclopædia Britannica:
Britannica was founded in Edinburgh in 1768 at the height of the period of European history known as the “Enlightenment”. Its aim was to publish clear, current and correct information, based on a scientific approach to knowledge.
- It is the most comprehensive and oldest continuously published reference work in the English language and is revered worldwide for its editorial integrity. Britannica strives to help its users become confident global citizens, by delivering expert and up-to-date knowledge and being global leaders in providing a source for life-long learning.
- Encycloppædia Britannica (UK) Ltd is a subsidiary of Encycloppædia Britannica Inc. who are leading providers of learning and knowledge products. Britannica is proud to be one of the world's most trusted sources of information.
- In 2011 Encyclopædia Britannica was named as one of the UK’s most respected brands in the annual Consumer Superbrand Survey. Britannica was one of only eight media reference companies to make the top 500 brands in the UK and was the only one to be listed in the top 50.
- About Britannica Online & Mobile:
Today Encyclopædia Britannica has a larger and more diverse line of online and mobile products than ever before. Our outlook is shaped by our tradition of excellence and an understanding of what knowledge seekers need in the digital age.
- Britannica's most comprehensive online product is Britannica Online Academic Edition, which delivers relevant, web-based content for further and higher education. It is continuously updated, revised and developed with new articles, allowing its users to research confidently with expert information and a host of research tools designed to support advanced study.
- Beyond the Online Academic Edition, Britannica continues to develop an extensive range of online products aimed at all levels of the curriculum.
- In 2002 Britannica introduced Britannica Online School Edition, a comprehensive reference and education service specially designed for primary and secondary schools. It has undergone several significant upgrades in the years since. Aspects of the product are available on the Guardian’s Teacher Resources site
- In 2006 Britannica introduced Britannica Online Public Library Edition, delivering three products in one, including separate home pages for adults, students, and children. The product allows libraries to tailor the product to their patrons' needs.
- In 2011 Britannica launched six titles in a series of educational mobile applications for children. The Ancient Romans, Ancient Egypt, Solar System, Volcanoes, Rainforests and Dinosaurs apps will be followed by a further 60 project-based programmes later in the year.
- Image Quest was launched in January 2011 to provide one million digital images to universities, colleges and schools. Fully rights-cleared for educational use, Image Quest brings together collections from the National Geographic, Getty Images, and Oxford Scientific and many others, into an easy-to-use online portal.
- For further information about Britannica and its products, please visit: http://www.britannica.co.uk/
Follow Britannica on Twitter: @Britannica_UK
Britannica Flickr Feed: www.flickr.com/photos/britannica_image_quest/
- About Telkom:
Telkom is a leading communications services provider in South Africa and on the African continent. We had consolidated normalised operating revenue from continuing operations of R37.0 billion and normalised profit for the year from continuing operations of R2.3 billion for the year ended 31 March 2010. Total assets from continuing operations amounted to R56.8 billion and equity attributable to the owners of Telkom to R29.9 billion as of 31 March 2010. The group generated normalised free cash flow of R5.5 billion for the year ended 31 March 2010.
- We had consolidated normalised operating revenue from continuing operations of R17.6 billion and normalised profit for the year from continuing operations of R1.4 billion for the six months ended 30 September 2010. Total assets amounted to R53.0 billion and equity attributable to the owners of Telkom to R29.3 billion as of 30 September 2010. The group generated normalised free cash flow of R623 million for the six months ended 30 September 2010.
- As of 30 September 2010, we had approximately 4.2 million telephone access lines in service and 99.9% of our telephone access lines were connected to digital exchanges. We offer business, residential and payphone customers a wide range of services and products, including:
- — fixed-line voice services, including subscriptions and connections services, local, long distance, fixed-to-other operators and international voice services, interconnection services which includes hubbing communications services and international voice over internet protocol services, subscription based value-added voice services and customer premises equipment rental and sales;
- — data and internet services, including domestic and international data transmission services, such as point to point leased lines, ADSL services, managed packet-based services and W-CDMA data services, managed data networking services and internet access and related information technology services;
- — fixed, mobile, data and international communications services in Nigeria through our Multi-Links subsidiary; and
- — other services including directory services, through Trudon (Proprietary) Limited, wireless data services, through Swiftnet (Proprietary) Limited, internet services outside South Africa, through Africa Online Limited and MWEB Africa Limited and provision of management services to ICT (Information Communication and Technology) through Telkom Management Services.
- Following the launch of our mobile service branded 8ta on 18 October 2010, our focus into the future will be on offering fully converged products that marry mobile voice and data services with the quality and resilience of the fixed-line to both the enterprise and residential markets.
# # #
CONTACT:For further information, please contact:
(0044) (0)20 7500 7800
Senior Specialist: Media Relations
Telcom SA Tel: (012) 311-5247
Cell: 082 857 5141
Specialist: Media Relations
Tel: (012) 311-7114
Cell: 081 391 4780